Thursday, January 31, 2013

Five Years {Remembering}

How can it possibly be five years ago today that our lives were forever changed?  I so distinctly remember sitting in that little ultrasound room.  I remember what I was wearing, I remember the look on the ultrasound tech's face, the look on our dear doctor's face as he took a look and then gently explained that our baby had a condition that was "incompatible with life" ... the way he gently expressed his promise to take good care of me and the baby through the pregnancy and delivery.  Then, I just remember feeling numb.

This is always a hard day, remembering the anniversary of the day we were told that Owen would not survive outside of me.  Five years already ... as I remember and reflect, I cannot help but thank God for his mercies which are new every day and have been so evident in the five years that have passed since Owen's diagnosis.  
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; 
his mercies never come to an end; 
they are new every morning ... 
Lamentations 3:22-23

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Even now as I sit here at my desk, I look up and see the framed picture of Owen's little feet and the quote that will forever be his: "There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world." How true this is of your sweet boy. Oh, how his life has impacted our lives and pointed us to Jesus, friend. Thinking of you, remembering, and praying for you today, friend. Thanking God, too, for using your family so strongly to testify that He is strong and good. Love you...

Kim said...

Thinking of all of you today and praying for your hearts. I hope I get to witness your reunion with Owen in heaven one day! What a joyous occasion that will be!

Christina said...

Just wow...who can ever prepare for such a life-altering event? I cant imagine...but am thankful God is your perfect companion through all of life. Praying he continues to hold your hand through this. Thanks for sharing!