Monday, May 25, 2009

Mmmm Monday

I’m not going to make a habit of posting an “Mmmm Monday” regularly, but I couldn’t resist this one. You see, I am always assigned to bring a jell-o to family gatherings. I can’t figure out if my jell-o recipes are that great or if my other dishes are not. I’m hoping it’s the former … and, to my jell-o lovers out there (you know who you are), no, I’m not going to start a jell-o blog. Just trying to retain my title as “Jell-o Queen.”

Patriotic Jell-o

2 - 3 oz. red Jell-o (strawberry and raspberry or black cherry)
2 c. boiling water, separated
1 c. ice water
1 c. half and half
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 envelope unflavored gelatin, dissolved in 1/2 c. cold water
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 can blueberry pie filling
16 oz. frozen, sliced strawberries, drained
BLUE LAYER: Dissolve 1 package raspberry or black cherry Jell-o in 1 cup boiling water. Add blueberry pie filling. Pour into 9 x 13” glass dish. Chill until set.
WHITE LAYER: Heat Half and Half and sugar. Remove from heat; add vanilla and gelatin; beat in cream cheese. Cool, pour on top of blue layer. Chill.
RED LAYER: Dissolve 1 package Jell-o in 1 cup boiling water. Stir in 1 cup ice water and mix in drained strawberries, pour on top of white layer. Chill until set.

Voila! (Can you really say “Voila” when it pertains to jell-o?)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Not sure why you always end up bringing Jello either except that you always have interesting recipes that are yummy! We enjoyed your "jelly" as Katie calls it today! I love the blueberries in it!

Thanks for coming today!

Amy

Nikki said...

Good morning, Jello Queen! Your patriotic jello looks delicious! Would you believe I made the very same jello for Luke's party on Friday night? :) Maybe we should collaborate on that jello blog...